Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fishing outback style

I spent my day off this week fishing with a couple of friends.  Well, actually 'fishing' might be stretching it slightly as basically, I cast the line numerous times and caught nothing.  However, I can say I have had my first adventure fishing in an outback river.  A river that has snakes, and large saltwater crocodiles. So yes, it sounds like I have a death wish but to be honest I didn't even see a crocodile or snake and was sooo disappointed.  Though it didn't stop me from being super cautious around the lake edge, looking for any crocodile trails.  Crocodiles are generally quite territorial so if there is one about there will generally be large mud trails in the area.

Anyway, the day begun at 5am when we drove to the Victoria River in Gregory National Park south of Timber Creek (and 2 hours south east of Katherine).  There are closer rivers, including the Katherine River however, this was as much about having a day away exploring some of the outback as it was about fishing.

The Timber Creek area really is beautiful. We saw plenty of wallabies on the way there and even a few wild donkeys but the highlight was the sunrise with a full moon still high in the sky. I tried to take photos but they don't do it justice.  Also beautiful was the red rock cliffs and the serene river.  These few photos I took will give you a taste of the beauty.

The beginning of the Sunrise with Full Moon (in picture).
Where we tried fishing!

Sign on the Rivers edge
Us fishing!

Barramundi is the fish we were after. I had some fresh 2 weeks ago and it's the yummiest fish! 55cm minumum overall length - that is no small fish!

I'm off to Darwin this weekend to attend a 2 day Professional Development mental health course but I am staying a few extra nights to do some shopping and site-seeing.  So no doubt I will be posting more photos in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment