Thursday, March 8, 2012

Anxiety builds

One more sleep until I'm on the plane and off to Australia.  I am flying from Palmy to Wellington in the morning, then to Brisbane, and finally to Darwin.  Arriving in Darwin at 12.30am (Aussie time) on Saturday.  So I will be totally buggered by the time I get there.  Thank goodness my wonderful friend is picking me up from the airport there.
What a crazy few weeks this has been.  Who knew there was so much to do when shifting countries (even though it's only Australia).  Gives me a new appreciation of how hard it must be for those immigrants who shift here from the other side of the world, especailly those who leave their cultures and for whom English is a second language.

I have hardly managed to catch up with any of my friends or work colleagues before leaving, though I did manage to see all the family which was good.  There just isn't enough hours in the day.  I had planned to have a relaxing week this week before I start induction in Darwin next Monday, but well that was just a dream.  I wasn't this busy when I was working.

My son was off to school camp on Monday, though he is home now, and Greg's grandmother also died at the beginning of this week.  Her funeral was today in North Canterbury making attending it not an option for us. We did however attend Greg's uncles funeral last month and saw a lot of the family then.  Poor Greg has had regular family funerals to attend the whole time we have been married.  He said to me yesterday, "I'm so over funerals and burying family."  His grandmother was 101 years old and a remarkable woman, who outlived most of her own childern.  The funeral was huge apparently and she had a good send off which doesn't make us feel quite so bad about missing it.

Tonight, we had a meal & movie family night with just Greg, the kids and I and have tried to make the time special.  We are also keeping them home from school tomorrow so they can see me off at the airport.  I'm really not looking forward to the goodbyes and didn't sleep that well last night thinking about it.  Anyway, they are tucked up in bed now and I'm heading off to work now to use the scales to weigh my bags (the Clinical Nurse Manager's GREAT idea).  I have no idea if I'm over or under the 23kgs and don't fancy repacking or paying for extra baggage at the airport.

Anyway, my next post will be from Australia.  Bon voyage New Zealand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment