Monday, March 26, 2012

Crocs, Snakes & Creepy Crawlies

Ahahaha, I knew with a title like that you would all be hanging on to the edge of your seats thinking "Thank God it's her and not me there".   Basically, when you think of Aussie, especially the Northern Territory that's what you think of. Well, that and it's, too HOT!

Actually, the truth is I have been here almost 3 weeks now and I haven't seen any of the above mentioned animals and I feel a little let down to be honest.  Yes, there are bats here and beautiful birds but I am still to even see a gecko.  Not saying that if I wandered down the road to the Katherine River and went for a swim I wouldn't find quite a few crocs, or if I visited the marshlands around the place...... but seriously, you would have to be some kind of mad to do that. 

In my mind before I came, I thought I would find snakes in all the trees and geckos crawling everywhere.  Well, all I see in the trees are bats.  I haven't even seen a spider.  There are very few webs outside and no daddy longlegs hiding in the corners as the houses all have screens on all the windows and doors to prevent insects, snakes or geckos from desending upon us.  Far more crawlies in NZ than I've seen here.

I did see a big tree frog on the first night here as it was on my friends car when she picked me up from the airport, but that's it.  In fact, the tree frog then had my friend telling me of how I need to keep the toliet seat down or frogs come up the toliet and into the house.  She had this happen one night while in Katherine.  It's really not the frogs that are the issue as much as the snakes that may be chasing them.  I bet that made a few of you quiver?!?!  It sure made me a bit nervous going to the toilet the first week I was here.

3 comments:

  1. This is all very exciting, i am loving coming on and catching up with what you have been up to. The thing that caught my eye was the 'ahahaha' at the beginning of your Blog. :) Owww yuck, a frog coming u pthe toilet, best you remember to close the lid. Love ya Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cha. Can't think who I got the 'ahahaha' off? xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but ...shiver.. what if right, you're ON the toilet and a snake is chasing a frog... then what?

    Can't you just like.. pee in a cup and then just dispose of it, down the toilet later? (Points to head)... Up here for thinking dolls...

    I'm afraid I need to really think about an alternative for number twos...

    ReplyDelete