Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"TB or not TB"? That is the question.

I wonder if tuberculosis was around in Hamlets day?  It certainly is around in the Northern Territory, as is Leprosy and Syphilis.  Yip, sometimes it feels like I'm in a third world country.

Here all aboriginal people get routinely screened for TB, as do people who have visited countries with high incidents of TB, all immigrants and those people working with high risk populations such as health workers, prison staff, police, homeless shelters etc.  So, I fronted up to be screened as you do fully confident I wasn’t likely to come back with a positive result having had my BCG vaccine when I started my nursing training some 19 years ago.  What they didn’t tell me when I had by BCG is, that it’s really only effective in preventing TB for half of the population who have had it. 
To my total shock I was in the half of the population it didn't help as my mantoux test showed a substantial positive result.  Positive meaning, I have been in contact with someone with active TB and need to have a chest x-ray to see if I have any lesions and to provide a baseline x-ray for future comparison.  Fortunately I have no current lesions and no symptoms of active TB.  Therefore, I officially have been given the diagnosis of “probable latent TB”.

So what is the risk of me actually getting ‘active TB’ or Infectious TB Disease as it's also known as?  Well, they have a software program here that calculates the risk. The doctor puts in all the information like my age, where I was born, countries I’ve visited, my health status, whether I smoke and drink and a few other bits and pieces of information into the program and it gives out a percentage of risk.  If the percentage is on the higher side then treatment is strongly recommended but is only forced (by law) if active TB is present. Treatment being 9 months of antibiotics for latent TB.  Of course, this doesn’t stop you from being reinfected in the future.  My percentage was less than 5% so I was therefore given the choice of treatment now, or just wait and, if I get symptoms in the future start treatment then.  Chances are I could spend my life with latent TB and never actually develop active TB.  However, if the risk changes later in life due to age, having COPD, being immune-suppressed (i.e: having chemo), suddenly becoming an alcoholic or whatever, then I will need to commence treatment.  In case you haven’t already guessed, I chose to wait until I have symptoms. So it will therefore be annual chest x-rays and reporting any symptoms such as night sweats or fevers, productive or persistent cough or blood from my cough or loss of weight  (can only dream about that one).  All seems surreal currently.

Now, as I have only been in the country a month and the test does not show recent contact but only from 3 months ago or prior, then it's seems I contracted this in New Zealand. The country that doesn’t screen for TB routinely, that doesn’t often BCG routinely and that has LOTS of immigrants now residing there. So actually, I feel safer here in the Northern Territory where they take TB seriously verses at home, in New Zealand where we largely ignore the fact that we likely have people with active TB living amongst us. 
The best prevention for TB is not a BCG injection, but rather early detection and treatment. It’s something we don’t do well in New Zealand.  So all you people who have been in contact with me, don’t stress, I’m not contagious..........but are you?  I did after all, get it from someone. 
Go and ask your GP for a mantoux test and watch as he says, "We don't do that routinely" or "You'll need to pay for that as it's not covered in our funding".
It was only a few years ago we had an outbreak in the very City I lived:


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10651417
In New Zealand we also now have drug resistant TB:
https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2011/194/11/extensively-drug-resistant-tuberculosis-new-zealand-s-first-case-and-challenges


So maybe it's time we woke up and started taking TB seriously in New Zealand too!

1 comment:

  1. Here's another one in the Manawatu:

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/6973074/School-confirms-tuberculosis-case

    ReplyDelete